SMMGP Home Page    SMMGP Online Forums    SMMGP Online Forums Home Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Clinical Issues    fluoxetine "snorting"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

fluoxetine "snorting" Login/Join

posted
I have heard from a source locally that there are people misusing fluoxetine by snorting it intranasally. They are even having "snorting parties". Apparently gives a cocaine like buzz. I have not heard of this before and would be grateful to know if anyone else has heard of this practice.

Posts: 197 | Location: U.K. | Registered: 16 May 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have not heard it mentionned. The things people do! I am not sure I want to ask directly about it, as people may think its a good idea. I hope it is just a little local craze, in your area. I imagine people will get very sore noses fairly quickly, as it is unlikely to be very soluble, so hopefully they will quickly move on to skate boarding or some other thrill seeking habit?

I suppose we'd better look out for overuse of fluoxetine. It is lucky that computerised prescribing systems flag up overuse, so we would all notice fairly quickly.

Apart from the sore nose, i am not sure what other health risks there would be. it would be hard to snort enough quantity to OD i would think.

Posts: 1302 | Location: Birmingham | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wonder why people can't just go to parties and buy tupperware anymore?
I cannot recall anyone asking me for replacement prescriptions for Fluoxetine. I wonder if anyone has tried it on the genitals or PR?
I wonder if I'm getting old that I don't go to the sort of places where such things happen.

Posts: 2564 | Location: Barnsley Yorkshire | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had some concerns about the source of this info.. However the drug is our first line pharmacological intervention for biological depression. So your comments have backed up my own doubts about the source. However I would welcome further posts.

Posts: 197 | Location: U.K. | Registered: 16 May 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
James,
I did some googling but not much use and most things leads to online pharmacies.
One link mentioned a teenage girl who had a seizure after snorting prozac. I hope it is not true or we'll be awaiting somone making Fluoboxone!

Posts: 2564 | Location: Barnsley Yorkshire | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am editing this to help people who think this is a good idea. I snorted a full 20mg fluoxitine capsule, i took the full go, in a line, i've snorted cocaine, extacy before, but this killed me, my nose was burning, so was me throat, my head was killing me, this pain lasted for 2 hours before it died down, my nose is still burning and running 5 hours later, i felt like i was going to die, please dont, its not worth it, im still in pain.
Any one got any questions add my msn.
Reid-1690@hotmail.co.uk.

Thanks so much

Posts: 1 | Location: scotland | Registered: 29 July 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just wondering if anybody knows of mirtazapine being snorted/effects of this. Few of my clients have asked the GP to swap them from fluoxetine/citalopram over to mirtazapine recently...... i thought it was for the sedative effect but now i'm wondering????

Posts: 30 | Location: west midlands | Registered: 09 August 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
or may be because the fluoxetine / citalopram wasn't working? I find patients told to each other and if one has had good effect (as in mood) with an anti-d then they tell their friends and sometimes it works for them + the placebo effect of thinking it will

Posts: 351 | Location: London England | Registered: 11 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
my nose is still burning and running 5 hours later, i felt like i was going to die, please dont, its not worth it, im still in pain.

If that isn't taking one for the team I don't know what is!

jimi

Posts: 55 | Location: London W2 | Registered: 20 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We had a phase when everyone was asking for orodispersible mirtazipine, but they don't seem to be bothered now. I wonder if that was a similar craze till everyone found it kills your veins or something.

Posts: 555 | Location: Hebden Bridge | Registered: 02 May 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did this this morning, my nose hurts a LOTTTTT and I didn't get any effects similar to cocaine.

The reason I tried it is because I was feeling very depressed and wanted to get the med into my blood stream quickly...

Nice Lark

Posts: 4 | Location: GB | Registered: 02 November 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Also, just to add. I did 100

If you were still hurting 5 hours later, I will be hurting for another week....

Nice Lark

Posts: 4 | Location: GB | Registered: 02 November 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanSix:
I did this this morning, my nose hurts a LOTTTTT and I didn't get any effects similar to cocaine.

The reason I tried it is because I was feeling very depressed and wanted to get the med into my blood stream quickly...

I don't think you are going to lift your mood quickly by snorting it, more likely to cause you other problems as already highlighted.