SMMGP Home Page    SMMGP Online Forums    SMMGP Online Forums Home Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Clinical Issues    Pregabalin and Gabapentin in prisons
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pregabalin and Gabapentin in prisons Login/Join

posted
Following on from the recent post about pregabalin and gabapentin in prison, does anyone know if there are any prisons using off licence and disolving in water?

Posts: 12 | Location: Warwickshire | Registered: 13 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would be interested to know how this might affect its efficacy.

Posts: 282 | Location: west midlands | Registered: 09 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No idea why this needs a new thread but I think prisons are prescribing too much of both drugs and it needs to be reduced.

Posts: 2486 | Location: Barnsley Yorkshire | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Simon,
I think many would agree with you on this how to achieve this when patients are either moving establishments on these medications or are coming into establishments arlready on this.
I think most people know how litiginous this group of patients are, and this adds in yet another difficulty.

Posts: 282 | Location: west midlands | Registered: 09 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We do not start anyone on pregab unless we have referred to a pain consultant and it is started by them. All of ours are inherited from the community or other establishments. We work to reduce but also have the issue of diversion within prison as the medication is highly tradeable. It's a big problem throughout the prison estate.

Posts: 12 | Location: Warwickshire | Registered: 13 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bev Bradshaw-Smith:
We do not start anyone on pregab unless we have referred to a pain consultant and it is started by them. All of ours are inherited from the community or other establishments. We work to reduce but also have the issue of diversion within prison as the medication is highly tradeable. It's a big problem throughout the prison estate.

Just seen a patient with past experience of pregabalin for neuropathic pain following a crush injury to his foot two years ago. A genuine reason but quote "when I stopped I had some really unpleasant s/e, severe depression, agitation, palpitations, and a huge sense of impending panic for no reason at all" It lasted about ten days. Why do they make this stuff?"
To be honest, I wonder this myself. We have far, far more problems with aggression and combative behaviour from even previously placid individuals when their supply, licit or illicit, is withdrawn that we ever have with anything else.

Posts: 69 | Location: Bradford, UK | Registered: 13 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Jim, I've filled out yellow cards for people that have had problems with these drugs, perhaps if you've time you could do the same?
I think our GP's are very cautious about these drugs now and I feel a sense of we've been here before. There is a defined withdrawal syndrome from these drugs, i've done a few slow tapers off them with patients. It may also be worth a phone call to the company, they seemed to have little information about dependence when I spoke to them.
I think I mentioned on the other thread we had a patient who got so aggressive in the walk in centre demanding more of these things the Police were called, he was tazered and had no recollection of it.

Posts: 2486 | Location: Barnsley Yorkshire | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
It may also be worth a phone call to the company, they seemed to have little information about dependence when I spoke to them.

This is true. My wife went to a local post-grad thing last week and happened to speak to a rep who had had six weeks training on her firm's drugs, of which this drug was one. SHE WAS NOT AWARE OF ITS ABUSE POTENTIAL. Excuse the shouting, but I was rather shocked.

Posts: 69 | Location: Bradford, UK | Registered: 13 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of the reps wasn't very happy with information i'd sent out through our PCT about careful prescrbing and risk of abuse potential.
I do fear it's the new benzo and it's very much in demand. I really don't want to be struggling for years to get people off this stuff if we can use it carefully now.