SMMGP Home Page    SMMGP Online Forums    SMMGP Online Forums Home Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Clinical Issues    Harmful effects of Oral Methadone when injected into veins
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Harmful effects of Oral Methadone when injected into veins Login/Join

posted
Dear Members

There is a patient who was recently switched to oral methadone as he was abusing the injectable solution (injecting into femoral vein) and experienced health problems due to this. I am aware that oral methadone solution should not be injected as the components can damage veins. Any other adverse effects that the oral solution can produce when injected? Can still people inject it despite the harmful effects? I would like to use the information you can provide as an intervention in this case and in the future. If you can provide a reference, it would useful
Thanks in advance for your help

Omar

Posts: 36 | Location: Harpenden | Registered: 21 May 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some clients have told me that the sugared variety is hard to inject compared to the SF version which is not as viscous. However, I understand that both varieties are extremely painful to inject........

Posts: 67 | Location: Birmingham | Registered: 27 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 55 | Location: Westminster | Registered: 25 June 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 55 | Location: Westminster | Registered: 25 June 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can still picture the problems some of my patients used to have with this when i worked over in Manchester.

Posts: 282 | Location: west midlands | Registered: 09 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had a patient who was injecting over 100ml oral methadone daily. He developed a severe iron deficiency anaemia.
This he achieved by leaving the needle in his femoral vein dripping blood into a glass whilst drawing the methadone up into a 20ml syringe six times!
After suspecting the methadone was causing the anaemia per se, I had to ask how he injected it to discover the cause of the anaemia. Avoided a haematology referral, and able to advise the patient in the strongest terms about harm reduction.

He was still doing the same thing a week later.

Posts: 13 | Location: Leeds | Registered: 30 June 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very helpful information, thank you very much

Posts: 36 | Location: Harpenden | Registered: 21 May 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post